Support for the spiritual heart of clergy of all denominations
Class of 2023 – on Zoom – Enrolling Now
Are you looking for a new way to live and lead faithfully?
Going Deeper: Clergy Spiritual Life & Leadership Program addresses the challenges of a life that ideally is centered in God and committed to spiritual practice but is all too quickly overtaken by stress, isolation, burnout and time management issues. Going Deeper provides an opportunity for clergy of all denominations to focus intentionally on the inner work that can foster a transformation of heart and embody a Spirit-led practice of ministry. In the face of administrative and cultural pressures, clergy are invited to “center down,” as Howard Thurman describes, and listen for the Spirit’s guidance in challenging times.
Going Deeper Timeline
Much of the work of Going Deeper: Clergy Spiritual Life and Leadership happens at home within the context of one’s ministry. The program is anchored by two eight-day Zoom retreats, which include presentations on contemplative prayer and leadership, fellowship with peers, worship, and spacious time for rest, reflection, and renewal.
Program Duration: August 2022 – September 2023
1st Retreat: August 2-9, 2022 (via Zoom)
2nd Retreat: July 18-25, 2023 (via Zoom)
At-home work includes:
- Readings focused on contemplative presence and spiritually grounded leadership;
- Personal spiritual practice supported, if possible, by a spiritual director or spiritual direction group and, where helpful, by keeping a spiritual journal;
- Periodic reflections, deep listening and caring support with a peer group of participants;
- A visit to an innovative, risk-taking church of your choosing;
- Creation of a listening group of laity from your congregation for spiritual deepening and mutual support;
- At least two days of solitary retreat time;
- A final integration paper that allows you to look back with God over your experience throughout the program in order to learn what has been of value to integrate into your life and leadership.
- Fellowship and stimulus of other contemplatively-minded clergy;
- Rest, renewal and guided silent retreat;
- Presentations with individual and small group reflection on various themes central to discovering how to live and lead from the spiritual heart, such as
- Nurturing Spirit-led leadership in yourself and with your faith community
- Personal and congregational ways for discernment based on deep listening
- Experiencing new and ancient practices of contemplative prayer
- Dealing with conflict and anger from a contemplative heart that holds compassion and courage in equal measure
- Listening for the Spirit’s shaping of the future of the church
- Collegiality with spiritually motivated congregants and other clergy
- Touching the Holy across faith lines
- Engaging social action with a contemplative heart
- Presence to God in worship
- Discernment as spiritually grounded decision-making;
- Inspiration drawn from the lives of past and present spiritual leaders;
- Honest spiritual community and the beginnings of a network of mutual support and practical learning.
A Certificate of Completion is awarded upon completion of all program requirements.
Chaplains may obtain Continuing Education Units for completing this program. Past graduates have been granted CEU’s for Shalem’s programs by the Association of Professional Chaplains.