TWO YEARS OF LEARNING AND EXPLORING FOR THOSE SEEKING A SPIRITUALITY FOR THEIR WISDOM YEARS
Inspired by and drawing various resources from the
Forest Dwelling Program at Oblate School of Theology, San Antonio TX
- First Intensive: Tuesday September 26 – Saturday September 30, 2023
- Second Intensive: Tuesday February 13 – Saturday February 17, 2024
- Third Intensive: Tuesday September 24 – Saturday September 28, 2024
- Fourth Intensive: Tuesday February 18 – Saturday February 22, 2025
- Graduation: May 13 – 15, 2025*
This program will always be offered on Zoom. Select in-person gatherings at various retreat centres will be offered, when possible, throughout the two-year program.
* Graduation Days – it is our hope that as many participants as possible can gather at Queen’s House Retreat & Renewal Centre in Saskatoon SK for these days. Dates to be confirmed by the fall of 2023. Graduation Days events will also be offered on zoom when possible for those joining us remotely.
About the Program
Growing in Wisdom: Seeking Deeper Generativity is an ecumenical program, grounded in the mystical Christian Tradition, open to learning from other interfaith and spiritual traditions, and designed for those seeking to engage in their maturing years with wisdom and grace. It is a program that welcomes participants who have the time, interest and energy to engage in a dynamic two-year adventure of learning and exploration. This is a time in which we can begin to look back on the life we have lived and find openness to new or previously undeveloped inner vistas. It is a time to begin to come to terms with our own mortality and the grace we find in facing this part of our lives with wisdom and satisfaction. This two-year program is a dynamic interplay between and among each participant, the Growing in Wisdom Community, and Divine Mystery, assisting in the inner transformation of participants as the journey unfolds. This program is not designed as a traditional educational program with highly structured material and outcomes. Rather, it is an invitation to a delicious smorgasbord of spiritual and intellectual materials, ideas, experiences, people, poetry, arts and Mystery in which you are invited to taste, chew on, set down, go back for more, discard, or simply marvel at the wonders of the program. Of course, the “treasures” that are discovered in these months will be different for you in the second half of life than they might have been in the first half of your life – the releasing of old identities and our self-importance, to name two of the many “surrenders” that life asks of us in these years. In this program we will explore what is most fruitful and life-giving for us, especially as we age, and what a maturing relationship with God (by whatever name you use) could look like. Growing in Wisdom: Seeking Deeper Generativity invites you to explore how you might commit yourself to giving both your life and your death to the world, in a way that both are the ultimate gift and blessing that you give to others.
In addition to the four intensives, seekers will take part in facilitated monthly Elder Circle Gatherings with 6-8 other participants for ongoing community-building and spiritual support. Optional monthly book studies will also be offered to participants, at no extra cost. Participants will source the books for the book studies. How much time would a participant want to commit to this program? Approximately 30-40 hours/month. Consider the following:
- 30-60 minutes/day in prayer and reading
- 2 hours/month meeting with your elder circle
- 1 hour/month meeting with your spiritual director
- 2 hours/month participating in a book study – this is optional
- Plus four 5-day intensives in September and February