Young Adult Life and Leadership Initiative
To learn more about this program, click here or on the left hand side bar for information on Timeline & Components, Fees, Staff, Testimonials and Application Form.
Do you desire a fuller relationship with the divine Presence in your personal life and in the workplace?
Are you interested in building a supportive, encouraging and respectful spiritual community?
Would you like to learn within a broad ecumenical framework that welcomes and respects other faith traditions?
If so, please consider joining Shalem’s program designed to nurture the spiritual life and strengthen the contemplative foundation of leadership for young adults.
Shalem’s Young Adult Life and Leadership Initiative (YALLI) is a two-year program designed for young adults and young professionals, ages 25-40, who seek a deeper spiritual foundation for their lives and leadership and who welcome the company of others on the path of spiritual discovery.
The first year of this program centers primarily on contemplative teaching and practices that open the mind and awaken the heart; the second year focuses on the experience and practice of contemplative leadership. Two residential retreats bring the community together for shared learning, support and prayer.
YALLI arose out of the conviction that there is a crucial need for the nurturing of spiritually-motivated young adult leaders who will help shape a life-giving culture and society for the new century ahead. This two-year program is designed for young adults and young professionals, ages 25-40, who seek a deeper spiritual foundation for their lives and work and who welcome the company of like-minded peers from across the vocational spectrum.
The program draws on the rich wisdom and practices of the classical contemplative tradition, and in particular, of Christian contemplative tradition. This long-tested spiritual heritage, which focuses on the individual’s evolving orientation to the sacred in everyday life, offers significant practical application to leadership today. It provides concrete help in the struggle to live from the divine wellspring of compassion, strength, and authentic vision.
YALLI is designed for those who:
- Are ages 25-40;
- Hold significant or emerging leadership positions in private or public, profit or not-for-profit, and religious sectors of society;
- Desire a fuller relationship with the divine Presence in their personal lives and in their roles in the workplace and society at large;
- Are eager for the opportunity to build a mutually supportive, encouraging, respectful spiritual community with other young adult leaders;
- Are drawn to explore contemplative tradition, which includes times of listening in silence and emphasizes an attitude of open availability to the divine Presence;
- Are willing to learn within a broad ecumenical Christian framework that welcomes with respect members of other faith traditions;
- Have life experience that reflects a search for God;
- Are at a point in their lives that is not full of overwhelming crisis, emotionally or vocationally; and
- Have demonstrated a commitment to service.