- Saturday, July 13, 2019
- Saturday, August 10, 2019
- Saturday, September 14, 2019
Inspired by the Quiet Garden Trust in England, these are days to relax, renew, and rest in the beauty of God’s outdoors, as well as to enjoy the Sisters’ chapel and library.
In case of rain, there is plenty of space indoors to wander, sit, dream, and pray.
We begin with a brief time of prayer; then a Sister will offer suggestions on how to use the day. The rest of the morning is yours.
The Eucharist is celebrated at noon, followed by dinner, and the afternoon is again free, with a brief gathering at 3:30 pm when you will have the option of sharing the fruits of the day followed by a closing time of prayer.
- Begins 9:30 am with a gathering for coffee; ends 4 pm.
- Fee $25 if you bring a bag lunch. A hot meal is an additional $15.
- Registration deadline: one week prior to event
- Registration here »
- All retreats and quiet days at St. John’s Convent take place in the milieu of a contemporary monastic community which has a daily rhythm of prayer. All guests are invited to take part in the daily Eucharist, and those staying overnight may like to join us in the Divine Office (Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Compline).
- See the regular chapel and meal schedule here »
The Quiet Garden Trust
“The ancient tradition of silent contemplation
is as important to the modern mind as it was to those of our forebears –
and the Quiet Garden Movement has been facilitating
the practice of mindful contemplation for the past 25 years,
in gardens across the world…” – Dr Rowan Williams
The Quiet Garden Prayer
Oh Lord Jesus
work in us what you want of us,
For you are indeed the true gardener
at once, maker and tiller and keeper of your garden
you who plant with the word,
water with the spirit
and give your increase with your power.
– Cisterician Guerric of Igny, 12th century