Pastoral Care Landscapes of Renewal: A High Desert Retreat – G190401
Join us for this retreat of renewal that explores ancient landscapes that shaped the language of the bible and invites us to consider the landscapes that shape our own life stories. William P. Brown, professor of Old Testament at Columbia Theological Seminary will guide morning sessions and afternoon hikes. The days will be bounded by morning and evening prayers and include time and space for personal reflection and small group conversations.
Scholars have only recently appreciated how the natural landscape of ancient Palestine helped to shape the language of Scripture. Equally, if not more fascinating is how the biblical narrators, poets and visionaries viewed the land in terms of how they saw God at work among them. Their literary landscapes provided a sense of hope and renewal for themselves and their communities.
Through guided study, open discussion, and meditative practice, we will as pilgrims explore these ancient landscapes with an eye toward discerning the underlying values and hopes that shaped them for what they are. We will learn how to “see” the biblical text, to encounter the text visually, and in so doing begin to shape our own landscapes of renewal and hope for today.
This retreat is for anyone interested in deepening their spiritual life through study and reflection in a community of other seekers.
Offered in conjunction with the Certificate in Spiritual Formation Program at Columbia Theological Seminary. Credit toward the certificate will be given to those who complete the readings and the final integration paper.
- Deepened understanding of biblical texts and the landscapes that inspired them
- Appreciation of our personal landscapes and their importance in one’s life
- Rest, reflection and spiritual renewal
- Note: Some courses (especially studio courses and plein air painting courses) can carry an additional material list or expense.
All rates are Per Person, Double Occupancy unless otherwise specified. Single Occupancy: Single occupancy rooms may be reserved for an additional $50 per night when space is available. The fee will be charged when space is confirmed. Single occupancy lodging is generally not available during June and July. If you are a single person and do not specify a roommate, a roommate of the same gender will be assigned to share your lodging space or you can request the single occupancy and be charged the supplement of an additional $50 per night (based on availability). For more information or if you would like to attend this workshop, but do not need lodging, please call the Registrar’s Office at 505.685.1001 or 505.685.1001 ext 4155 or toll-free at 877.804.4678 — available Sunday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. MST.
Three ways to register:
- Download printable registration form and mail to: Ghost Ranch Registrar, 280 Private Drive 1708, Abiquiu, NM 87510. OR scan and email your completed form to: [email protected]
- Register by telephone at 505.685.1001 or 505.685.1017 or toll-free at 877.804.4678, ext. 4155 or ext. 4121 — available Monday-Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. MST.