A baccalaureate degree from a recognized university or college with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (‘B’). For full admission requirements, see the Admissions Requirements and Deadlines page.
30 credit hours
A minimum of 60 credit hours in the following areas
- Bible – 12 credit hours (minimum 3 ch of Old Testament and 3 ch of New Testament)
- Theology and History of Christianity – 12 credit hours (minimum 3 ch in each area)
- Practical Theology – 12 credit hours
- Ministry Formation – 9 to 12 credit hours
BTS-5330 Foundations for Christian Ministry
BTS-5340 Ministry Discernment Process
- Option for Supervised Ministry Experience – 6 to 9 credit hours including:
BTS-5910 Supervised Ministry Experience (6 ch) OR BTS-5920 Supervised Ministry Experience (9 ch)
- Option for Field Research – 9 credit hours including:
BTS-5900 Research and Methodology
BTS-6020 Field Research Project or Thesis (6 ch)
- Electives – as required to reach a total of 60 credit hours
1. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 (‘B’) to remain in the program and to graduate.
2. Courses offered by CMU faculty or by instructors visiting at CMU, whether on campus or online, will count toward the residency requirement. Courses taken by CMU/MBBS students from MBBSC to meet the MB requirements of their programs will also count toward the residency requirement, to a maximum of nine credit hours.
3. Students who have at least five years of relevant ministry experience may propose to embark on a field research project or thesis. A Student who wishes to write a thesis, or embark on a field research project should contact their faculty advisor who will bring the student’s request to the BTS department. Students will be granted permission by the department to pursue a thesis based on the strength of their overall academic performance and topic suitability.
4. Students may include up to 6 credit hours of introductory biblical languages within the electives of the major from the following list:
LANG-5200 Elementary Biblical Hebrew I
LANG-5210 Elementary Biblical Hebrew II
LANG-5230 Elementary Biblical Greek I<
LANG-5240 Elementary Biblical Greek II
5. Students may begin their field education after completing the first 30 credit hours of the program. They may include up to 12 credit hours of field education provided that there is some variation in the location and type of field placement. They must complete at least 6 credit hours of supervised ministry experience at CMU. They may earn as much as 6 credit hours of field education through another post-secondary institution by way of a Letter of Permission. Programs outside of CMU will be evaluated on the basis of the nature of instruction, ministry experience, and supervision.
6. BTS-5330 Foundations for Christian Ministry must be taken within the first 30 credit hours of a student’s MA in Christian Ministry program.
7. Students completing the joint CMU/MBBS Master of Arts, must complete the following MBBS area requirements within the degree:
MB Convictions (3 credit hours)
One of: history, ecclesiology, or Ethics (3 credit hours)
Biblical Theology (3 credit hours)