Saturday and/or Sunday, March 16 and 17, 2019
Enjoy St Patrick’s Day weekend at the Convent and learn to draw Celtic knots.
If you can you draw a dot, a line, and a square you’re already embarked on an ever-opening journey. Learn to compose your own knots for any size, space, or art form.
Centuries of history and cultures in many media – much of it from the monastic tradition – will begin to open their secrets with an invigorating, freeing, enthusiasm that will feed your spirit and your creative intelligence.
Led by Brian Dench, graphic designer, former president of the Calligraphic Arts Guild of Toronto, and author of The Knotty Book. Brian has been teaching knots since 1989 for craft guilds, schools, churches, and several sold-out events at the Convent since 2012.
See a knot collection at https://twitter.com/interlaceknots.
- Each day begins at 9:30 am with gathering for coffee and ends at 4 pm
- Fee $30 per day ($25 for Associates and Oblates) if you bring a bag lunch – A hot meal is an additional $15
- Fee for staying overnight (including meals) and attending both sessions is $125
- Registration deadline: March 9, 2019
- Registration here »
- All retreats and quiet days at St. John’s Convent take place in the milieu of a contemporary monastic community which has a daily rhythm of prayer. All guests are invited to take part in the daily Eucharist, and those staying overnight may like to join us in the Divine Office (Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Compline).
- See the regular chapel and meal schedule here »