This pass/fail course builds on the material offered in Boundaries & Bridges and is designed to expand students’ mastery of the practices essential to effective and ethical pastoral care. The primary focus of this course is to provide students with opportunities to learn and demonstrate their ability to:
• understand and embody the principles of bringing themselves to ministry with skill, authenticity and integrity (i.e., responsible self-leadership)
• articulate a pastoral image of themselves that is lived out in their pastoral functioning
• skillfully engage in a range of pastoral skills essential to providing pastoral care to diverse populations
• competently and accurately assess the strengths and needs of those they are serving pastorally
• Integrate their conceptual in-class learning with the practice of pastoral care in the field education placement
The overarching goal of this course is for each student to gain the requisite skills involved in becoming a person who values and has the ability to offer sensitive and effective pastoral care, is committed to the ongoing task of developing their capacity for ethical thinking, and consistently behaves with authenticity and integrity.
Students may not enroll in this course until they have successfully completed Boundaries & Bridges.
This course will take place remotely over Zoom. The placement component over the summer had to be postponed due to COVID-19 and will be offered in a later semester. This is the theory portion of the course and will be one credit instead of two.