Tatamagouche Centre, 259 Loop Route 6, RR#3 NS
Aug 20 – Aug 23, 2019
Tuesday, August 20 at 3pm until Friday, August 23 at 2pm.
This program requires an application process. Please see below for details.
Application Deadline is July 28, 2019
We are pleased to announce a 2019 Peace and Friendship Youth Alliance Gathering!
This gathering is focused on widening the circle of indigenous and settler youth engagement in indigenous rights and in living as treaty people.
This gathering will be an empowering opportunity to envision and build sovereignty and self-determination among the youth of the Wabanaki nations. Through ceremony, reflection, and the support of elders, we will work together to explore connections between ceremony, language, world-views, citizenship, relationships, governance, treaties, rights, responsibilities and life together.
We will explore how Wabanaki traditions and world-views can guide our relationships with Canada and other colonial structures. This will include talking circles, teaching times, sacred fire, fun, and traditional crafts – along with deep discussion and learning.
We will bring together youth in the range of ages 18-39.
Youth (aged 18-39) can apply to participate in this program. Indigenous youth will be prioritized, and we will ensure that the majority of participants are Indigenous. You can apply in any of these ways:
- by sending us an email at [email protected]
- call us at 902-657-2231 to set up a phone call to discuss your participation
- text us at 902-977-0477. Let us know your name and your interest in being part of the gathering, and we will get back to you.
We ask that you answer the following questions. We also ask that you give us a community reference.
- Why would you like to participate in this gathering?
- How do you think this experience can shape your involvement in your community?
- How do you see yourself in relationship with the Treaties? Whether you are part of a Wabanaki Nation (Wolastoqiyik, Abenaki, Penobscot, Passamaquoddy, or Mi’kmaq), or a settler?
- You are invited to pay what you are able. The cost per person for this gathering is $480 per person. The more you are able to contribute, the more people we are able to host. How much are you able to contribute?