A baccalaureate degree from a recognized university or college with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (‘B’). For full admission requirements, see the Admissions Requirements and Deadlines page.
30 credit hours
A minimum of 60 credit hours
Core requirements—30 credit hours in the following areas
- Bible – 12 credit hours (minimum 3 ch of Old Testament and 3 credit hours of New Testament)
- Theology and History of Christianity – 12 credit hours (minimum 3 credit hours in each area)
- Practical Theology – 3 credit hours
- Methodology – 3 credit hours
Electives—as required to reach a total of 60 credit hours
Thesis Option: Students may propose to write a thesis equivalent to 6 credit hours. Credits earned by way of the thesis will reduce the elective requirement. See note 4, below.
1. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 (‘B’) to remain in the program and to graduate.
2. Courses offered by CMU faculty or by instructors visiting at CMU, whether on campus or online, will count toward the residency requirement. Courses taken by CMU/MBBS students from MBBSC to meet the MB requirements of their programs will also count toward the residency requirement, to a maximum of nine credit hours.
3. Normally, students wishing to write a thesis in the area of biblical studies must demonstrate an appropriate level of competence in the pertinent biblical language, whether Hebrew or Greek.
4. A student who wishes to write a thesis should contact their faculty advisor, who will bring the student’s request to the BTS department. Students will be granted permission by the department to pursue a thesis based on the strength of their overall academic performance and topic suitability.
5. Areas in which courses will be offered and theses may be written include Anabaptist and Mennonite Studies, Biblical Theology, Christian Worship, Christianity and Culture, Christianity and the Arts, Ethics, History of Christianity, New Testament, Old Testament, Peace Theology, Philosophical Theology, Practical Theology, Spirituality, and Systematic Theology.
6. Students may include up to 6 credit hours of introductory biblical languages within the electives of the major from the following list:
LANG-5200 Elementary Biblical Hebrew I
LANG-5210 Elementary Biblical Hebrew II
LANG-5230 Elementary Biblical Greek I<
LANG-5240 Elementary Biblical Greek II
7. Students may take up to 6 credit hours of field education. This may be taken at CMU, or through another organization with a Letter of Permission. Programs outside of CMU will be evaluated on the basis of the nature of instruction, ministry experience, and supervision.
8. Students completing the joint CMU/MBBS Master of Arts, must complete the following MBBS area requirements within the degree:
MB Convictions (3 credit hours)
One of: history, ecclesiology, or Ethics (3 credit hours)
Biblical Theology (3 credit hours)