May 21 – May 24, 2015 Thu 2:00 PM – Sun 1:00 PM $430.00
“It helped me work through the process of putting together programming for youth and think of new and exciting ways to engage youth in our programs and bring in the element of the community in which they live.” 2013 participant
“This is going to be integral to my organization’s development.” 2013 participant
“I think the program was really successful in teaching me how to train my staff- I really liked how many different aspects of running youth programs were outlined and explored (planning, conflict res, implementing, reflecting, group dynamics)” 2012 participant
This is an essential program for individuals who work directly with youth or those interested in developing innovative programing with youth. We will share best practices, applied theory, techniques, and experiential activities which you can use to engage youth, deepen their experiences, enhance and build on their strengths and gifts, and identify ways to more deeply connect young people to community action.
Leadership and facilitation techniques and a unique appreciative approach coupled with a service-learning framework will be explored as one of the best ways to engage youth. By creating powerful program experiences, youth will step up to be their personal best and realize that they have great potential to create positive changes in their life, their community and beyond. This program is suited to anyone who is interested in high-level training in youth engagement and program planning to enhance their abilities as youth workers, mentors, social workers, employment councilors, teachers, volunteers or recreation staff.
Leadership: The leadership for this workshop blends 55 years of experience and knowledge in participatory education design from the Tatamagouche Centre and 26 years of experience, research and knowledge in meaningful youth engagement and community development from HeartWood Centre for Community Youth Development, both Nova Scotia based and developed organizations.
- Deepen their understanding of HeartWood’s Framework for Community Youth Development as a successful theoretical approach to leading engaging youth programs
- Deepen their understanding of the Tatamagouche ASPIRE model of Educational design and Leadership as a planning tool for transformational learning
- Learn HeartWood’s facilitation approach, tools and practices
- Getting a better understanding of the current cultural context for young people and how that influences youth engagement
- Explore challenges that occur relating to working with young people in dynamic situations
- Create opportunities to practice program design and facilitation in a supportive community of participants
- Build strategies to apply their learning in the context of programs, relationships and communities
This is a joint initiative of the Tatamagouche Centre, HeartWood Centre for Community Youth Development and the Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness.
Program Cost: $430 (tuition, meals & accommodation)
Local Price: $310 (without overnight)
Please register at least 2 weeks in advance to secure your place in this program.