“Very engaging and innovative because it was a different way for me to think about doing things. The facilitators were very responsive to the needs of the participants.” – 2013 participant
“The program provided an amazing framework for participants to take to their workplaces.” – 2013 participant.
“The program design was great. It was informative and challenging.” – 2013 participant
“This is going to be integral to my organization’s development.” – 2013 participant
“I think the program was really successful in teaching me how to train my staff- I really liked how many different aspects of running youth programs were outlined and explored (planning, conflict res, implementing, reflecting, group dynamics)” – 2012 participant
“I learned everything from being a more effective facilitator to models for planning to appreciating life journeys.” – 2010 participant
“Amazing, empowering, learning environment.” – 2010 participant
An essential program for those working with youth.
You will share best practices, techniques, games, activities and initiatives which you can use to have fun, engage youth, deepen their experiences, and enhance and build on their strengths and gifts.
The concept of leadership, using a unique appreciative approach coupled with a service learning framework will be explored as one of the best ways to engage youth. By creating such powerful program experiences, youth can be their personal best and realize that they have limitless potential to create positive changes in their life, their community and beyond. This program is suited to anyone who is interested in getting training in youth engagement and program planning to enhance their abilities as camp counselors, youth workers, mentors, volunteers or recreation staff
- To explore what youth programs look like when young people are meaningfully engaged
- To introduce and deepen our understanding of the Tatamagouche ASPIRE model of Educational Design and Leadership and the HeartWood’s Framework for Community Youth Development as program planning tools for youth programs
- To share experiences and best practices related to facilitating engaging youth programs and to explore challenges that occur relating to youth programs
- To create a team building experience and supportive network between participants
- To create an opportunity to practice facilitation in a safe and supportive environment
- To create space for planning in order to apply learning to applications in participants home contexts
This is a joint initiative of the Tatamagouche Centre, HeartWood Centre for Community Youth Development and the Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness.
Program Cost: $430 ($195 tuition+$235 meals/accommodations)
Local Price: $289 (program cost without overnight, without breakfast)
Please register at least 2 weeks in advance to secure your place in this program