Engaging Youth in Worship
WHEN: April 10 to May 12, 2018
WHERE: Online and on campus (further details below)
INSTRUCTOR: Rick Gunn
Contact Brittany Stanick, Academic Office Coordinator:
email: [email protected] or
An educational opportunity for anyone who works with youth (aged 12-19) and wants to learn more skills for engaging youth in worship both in Sunday community worship and as part of youth ministry activities.
This course qualifies as an Elective for the Diploma in Youth Ministry Program or as a continuing education opportunity
- 4 weeks of online assignments and teaching from Tuesday April 10 – Monday May 7, 2018. We will use a closed Facebook Group as the platform for our online learning together.
- One full day together in person at the President’s Lodge on the campus of the Atlantic School of Theology (Saturday May 12, 2018, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm).
- Online and in-person sessions will be discussion-based and interactive amongst the teacher and the students. The collective wisdom and experience of the class will be used to explore questions and theories of engaging youth in worship, in addition to required readings.
Assignments will include:
- Relevant readings from the youth ministry field
- Writing prayers and liturgies for younger youth and older youth for use in corporate and mobile worship services
- Sharing techniques for engaging youth with scripture
- Exploring and applying critical tools for assessing youth ministry contexts in which we are engaged
- Assessing and naming our strengths and gifts as leaders and designers of youth worship
About the Instructor
|Rick Gunn’s vocation as a youth minister is rooted in a decade of involvement with Maritime Conference Youth Forum as facilitator, design team member and event director. This form of event-based ministry with Christian teens opened a new world of worship and pastoral relationship-building practice. He was the youth minister at Bedford United Church for fifteen years where he bridged event-based learnings with congregational ministry. He has designed and lead worship at two Rendez-vous conferences (a national youth and young adult gathering of the United Church of Canada).|