Preaching Good News to the Poor By Debra Erickson

Preaching Good News to the Poor   By Debra Erickson       It is by now old news – or should be – that evangelical Christians have developed a social conscience that goes beyond wedge issues like abortion and gay rights. Some are even (gasp!) registered Democrats. In the most recent issue of … Continue reading “Preaching Good News to the Poor By Debra Erickson”

Crash By Martin E. Marty

Crash   By  Martin E. Marty       “Worst Crisis Since ’30s, With No End in Sight,” screamed the September 18th Wall Street Journal, in company with all other headliners. The four authors of the full-page story tuck in this line under the sub-head “Spreading Disease:” The U. S. financial system “is trying to fight … Continue reading “Crash By Martin E. Marty”

Embracing transformation By Richard Simpson

Embracing transformation Christian-Muslim dialogue enhances understandig — and faith   By Richard Simpson     [Episcopal Life] Editor’s note: Three Episcopalians were among the 25 Christians and eight Muslims who attended a week-long seminar on Christian-Muslim relations at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., this past summer. The Rev. Richard Simpson, rector of St. Francis … Continue reading “Embracing transformation By Richard Simpson”

Hearing the call by Katharine Jefferts Schori

Hearing the call We are called to partnership as we learn how to live together in diversity   By Katharine Jefferts Schori   [Episcopal Life] I didn’t expect to hear seagulls in Canterbury, but they were a frequent and insistent background as we listened, conversed, prayed and sang together through the nearly three weeks of … Continue reading “Hearing the call by Katharine Jefferts Schori”

Not so alien: ‘Three-minute’ hospitality provides welcome for strangers By Jan Johnson

Not so alien ‘Three-minute’ hospitality provides welcome for strangers   By Jan Johnson   [Episcopal Life] I wanted to talk to a friend after the church service, but I remembered the “three-minute guideline” presented at a leadership meeting. For three minutes after the service, we were asked to talk to folks we didn’t know. … Continue reading “Not so alien: ‘Three-minute’ hospitality provides welcome for strangers By Jan Johnson”