Fundamentalism in Europe By Martin E. Marty

By ┬áMartin E. Marty Off to Prague this week for the Tenth International (Dietrich) Bonhoeffer Congress, to present a synoptic view of fundamentalism(s). The conferees are probing ways in which the life and record of the theologian put to death by the Nazis in the last month of the European War (1945) can illumine life … Continue reading “Fundamentalism in Europe By Martin E. Marty”

Left Behind or Left in Cyberspace? By Noreen Herzfeld

By┬áNoreen Herzfeld As a teenager, when a friend first told me about the rapture, in which Christians will be miraculously transported to heaven while sinners remain on earth to suffer a variety of tribulations, I was quite sure that, sinner that I was, I was destined to be the one member of my family and … Continue reading “Left Behind or Left in Cyberspace? By Noreen Herzfeld”

How ecumenism can help the Anglican Communion – Alyson Barnett-Cowan

Ecumenists know a thing or two about having a good conversation, and the Lambeth Conference could learn from this. So says the Rev. Canon Alyson Barnett-Cowan in a reflection posted on General Synod’s Lambeth website.  The Rev. Barnett-Cowan writes not only as Director of Faith, Worship, and Ministry at General Synod, but also an … Continue reading “How ecumenism can help the Anglican Communion – Alyson Barnett-Cowan”

Keep Communion safe By Susan Delphine Delaney

By Susan Delphine Delaney [Episcopal Life] About five percent of your church’s communicants have celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that results in sensitivity to the gluten in wheat. Wheat is present in regular Communion wafers. Those of us with celiac disease may suffer from the following symptoms if we ingest a regular Communion wafer: bone … Continue reading “Keep Communion safe By Susan Delphine Delaney”

Emergent evangelist challenges Lambeth Conference to speak to a new world

By Mary Frances Schjonberg [Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] Anglicanism has “great, great advantages at this moment” in the world’s history to help people become “authentic followers of Jesus Christ,” evangelist Brian McLaren told a July 21 plenary session of the 2008 Lambeth Conference. McLaren, a non-denominational pastor who lectures and writes about modern-day evangelism and … Continue reading “Emergent evangelist challenges Lambeth Conference to speak to a new world”