Pigs, Plagues, Politics, and Religion By Spencer Dew

By Spencer Dew  In the last few weeks, fear of a swine flu pandemic temporarily closed churches in Mexico and altered liturgies in the United States, with some parishes cancelling the “passing of the peace” or performing Eucharist without a common cup.  In a “precautionary” measure, 300,000 pigs were slaughtered in Egypt, while the Taiwanese Tzu … Continue reading “Pigs, Plagues, Politics, and Religion By Spencer Dew”

Thinking theologically about pandemic

By The Right Rev. Linda Nicholls (As the world tracks the spread of swine flu, churches are taking precautions for the health of their communities. This document provides some theological principles for the church’s response. General Synod’s former coordinator for dialogue, Linda Nicholls [now an area bishop of Toronto], wrote these reflections as an appendix … Continue reading “Thinking theologically about pandemic”

The Continuing Responsibility of North-West Theologians in Global Christianity By John G. Stackhouse, Jr.

By John G. Stackhouse, Jr. As Martin Marty’s pointed out in this past Monday’s Sightings, “everyone knows” nowadays that Christian Europe is long over, and Christian North America is declining quickly as well. Africa, South America, and Asia, with their burgeoning populations of enthusiastic Christians, are where the action is.  We are already two decades … Continue reading “The Continuing Responsibility of North-West Theologians in Global Christianity By John G. Stackhouse, Jr.”

Population Changes in Europe By Martin E. Marty

By Martin E. Marty In hours I’ll be boarding a plane for secular Europe, in particular secular France, and most particularly, secular Paris. Mixing business and pleasure, I’ll be doing some accidental research, namely, observing and taking mental notes on areas familiar to me from past scholarship.  One of the delights of travel and scholarly work and … Continue reading “Population Changes in Europe By Martin E. Marty”

Time to switch vessels By Mark D. W. Edington

By Mark D. W. Edington [Episcopal Life] Not long ago, I attended a clergy conference in my diocese and left feeling as though the organizers – or perhaps the clergy association – should have included Dramamine with the registration packet. Despite an agenda that held out two central topics for conversation, the Conversation We Have … Continue reading “Time to switch vessels By Mark D. W. Edington”