Population Changes in Europe By Martin E. Marty

By Martin E. Marty In hours I’ll be boarding a plane for secular Europe, in particular secular France, and most particularly, secular Paris. Mixing business and pleasure, I’ll be doing some accidental research, namely, observing and taking mental notes on areas familiar to me from past scholarship.  One of the delights of travel and scholarly work and … Continue reading “Population Changes in Europe By Martin E. Marty”

Time to switch vessels By Mark D. W. Edington

By Mark D. W. Edington [Episcopal Life] Not long ago, I attended a clergy conference in my diocese and left feeling as though the organizers – or perhaps the clergy association – should have included Dramamine with the registration packet. Despite an agenda that held out two central topics for conversation, the Conversation We Have … Continue reading “Time to switch vessels By Mark D. W. Edington”

Blessings in hard times By Katharine Jefferts Schori

By Katharine Jefferts Schori [Episcopal Life] How do we cope in tough economic times? How do we nurture an enduring sense of hope in ourselves and in those around us? Start with gratitude for what you are and have. Begin with the simple (!) task of listing the blessings in your life – shelter, family, … Continue reading “Blessings in hard times By Katharine Jefferts Schori”

Why so slow? By Solange De Santis

By Solange De Santis [Episcopal Life] On April 22, 1970, the first Earth Day happened. The verb is apt because it really did seem just to happen, to spring out of air and soil. That first Earth Day, 20 million people gathered in schools, parks and community centers to demonstrate against pollution, to listen to … Continue reading “Why so slow? By Solange De Santis”

Seminaries as Incubators of Inter-Religious Leadership By Joshua M. Z. Stanton

By Joshua M. Z. Stanton  Evangelical pastor convinces student to become rabbi.  It sounds like the start of a bad joke. But while I was an undergraduate, The Reverend Dr. Paul Sorrentino, who is Director of Religious Life at Amherst College and a beloved mentor, convinced me to look for more in life than a career … Continue reading “Seminaries as Incubators of Inter-Religious Leadership By Joshua M. Z. Stanton”